The Misconception: “Godliness is Heterosexuality”
Why this is important for us to think about:
– Even though it may not be our issue, we might unwittingly create a painful environment for our brothers and sisters in Christ.
What the belief gets right:
– Sexual purity is important
What the belief gets wrong:
– The way we treat different sins
– The way we think about desire (and elevating the wrong ones)
Do we really believe that eternity is our best?
Matthew 19 – is it better not to marry?
1 Corinthians 7 – choosing what’s best for the kingdom (and serving wherever we are)
What can we do about it?
1. Foster a kingdom vision (and celebrate those victories)
2. Watch what we hold up as the ideal to those facing those decisions
3. Recognize that we’re all in a struggle with sin, and support each other through it
4. Acknowledge that we can grow through choosing rightly when it’s hard.