Deuteronomy 29-30 – Which God Will You Follow?
How can I be sure I’m on the right track in life?
– A past history of failure
– A present opportunity to take hold of the Promised Land
– What gives us security in modern life?
– What does God have to offer in that?
Now choose life
– There is a choice to be made
– It’s a significant question – it’s about life.-
The words of the covenant…
What is a covenant?
1. An initial commitment
2. Changed pattern of behaviour
3. Determination to continue in relationship
Two things on this passage
– It’s not just an ancient history lesson
– This is to do with real life, not just ‘religious stuff’
“12 You are standing here in order to enter into a covenant with the Lord your God, a covenant the Lord is making with you this day and sealing with an oath, 13 to confirm you this day as his people, that he may be your God as he promised you and as he swore to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.” Deuteronomy 29:12-13
“19 When such a person hears the words of this oath and they invoke a blessing on themselves, thinking, “I will be safe, even though I persist in going my own way,” they will bring disaster on the watered land as well as the dry. 20 The Lord will never be willing to forgive them; his wrath and zeal will burn against them.” Deuteronomy 29:19-20a
Now choose life…